DRIVE TECHNOLOGYCONVENTIONAL DRIVE TECHNOLOGY
Alternator drive has been the technology used for generating electricity for refrigeration since the FRIGOBLOCK Grosskopf GmbH was formed. Like an electric generator, the alternator is integrated in the belt drive of the truck engine. As the truck engine revs up, the rotary frequency of the alternator increases and generates voltage and amperage.
The frequency provided by the alternator is directly fed to the electric motors for compressor, fan and blower. Consequently, these units rotate at a frequency that depends on the speed of the truck engine. When supplied from the electric mains, the speeds are constant due to the constant frequency of 50 Hz.
WHAT ARE THE ADVANTAGES OF ALTERNATOR DRIVE?
Absorption of electric power from the truck engine in
- idle (standstill)
- constant speed, or
- overrun mode.
- More energy efficient than compared with an external industrial diesel combustion engine
- Low-noise operation (slight extra noise emission)
- Utilization of the high efficiency of a truck engine compared with an industrial diesel engine
The drive of the components by electric motors and the absence of a diesel engine...
- permit the installation of heat exchangers with larger surfaces. This reduces the pressure level in the refrigeration system which, in turn, extends the life of the refrigeration compressor and of other components.
- Avoids any critical increase in compresser discharge gas temperature due to heat emitted by the engine = more refrigeration capacity.
- Enables the complete integration of the evaporators in the refrigeration system and double-deck loading of goods up to the bulkhead.
- Reduces wear by up to 50% in comparison with the start-stop mode of the diesel engine.